Subject: Re: Three questions, re: X, Sendmail, Perl
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/21/1999 15:43:05
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> I'm setting up a NetBSD-i386 box at work to replace thier WhistleJet
> (internet access device with built-in proxy/nat/email/firewall, but very
> limited). I've never used the i386 port before (mostly a vax person,
> myself), but I've managed to figure most of it out. I've got a couple of
> outstanding issues though:
>
> 1. Is there a way to fire up X during bootup, and have all logins done
> from the X gui (ala DECWindows)? What is involved? I've managed to get X
> running, and have played around with it for a while now, but I can't
> figure this one out.
in /etc/rc.conf, set
xdm=YES
(default is NO).

> 2. Is there an easy way to set up sendmail? I'll be doing SMTP/POP3
> processing for about 100 (to start, 1000 eventually) users, and it must
> be accessible from ex0 and ppp0 - in other words, from inside and out.
> This box will be set up doing NAT and filtering.
also in /etc/rc.conf,
sendmail=YES,
but you'll at least want to turn off smtp forwarding which means making a
new sendmail config file.

As as start, go to /usr/share/sendmail/cf.  The file 'netbsd-proto.mc' is
used to create the /etc/sendmail.cf file.  'make' will build it.

check out sendmail.org and the O'Reilly book.  You now know all I do about
sendmail.