Subject: Re: Many Thanks... and WTB:
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/1999 01:57:56
On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 06:39:59PM -0700, Brian D Chase wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
>
> > Once I've got these final items, I'll be able to commence my scariest
> > project yet - the Asymetrical MultiProcessing Kernel Make Machine. 8
> > VS3100s, all NFS mounting a source tree, each compiling a different bit.
> > God, sometimes I scare myself...
>
> A while back someone brought up the idea of modifying the `make -j N'
> usage to incorporate support for distributed makes across multiple
> machines.  So maybe the syntax would be something like:

[...]

The desire to do this is, actually, *why our make supports multiple
jobs in the first place*.  You see, our make comes from Sprite (or at
least by way of Sprite, at one point long ago in its history) and on
Sprite, you just type "make -j foo" and foo jobs are started, then
silently migrated off to other machines in the cluster as happens to
best optimize load.

Gosh, it'd be nice if NetBSD could do that. ;-)