Subject: Re: address database recommendation
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Pierre Bourgin <Pierre.Bourgin@lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/02/1999 19:14:04
On Fri, 2 Jul 1999 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

 > anyone have a recommendation for a database program for storing addresse=
 > and telephone numbers?  I'm interested in storing a few hundred entries
 > and then being able to look up by various methods (name, company,
 > keywords, etc.)  Is MySQL the right tool for such a thing?  This is my
 > last thing to fix to make myself totally microsoft free....  I'm not too
 > scared of spending some time learning how to use a real database program=
,
 > but don't want to invest 20 hours of learning to use one and find its no=
 > even an appropriate tool.

Yes, MySQL database is one of the right tools to do that.

I wrote two databases in order to manage computers (type, os,
localisation, ...), and another to manage people and desks
(about 400 entries).

I wrote  web interfaces to use it with php3 script, that runs
fine with the web server apache.

I did not know anything about SQL database before, and it seems
nice to user, even recursive SQL queries are not supported yet :

I wrote shell scripts to create these databases very easily, and
other to save tables in an ascii form, that can be used by the
creating scripts.

PHP scripts are nice too (between C,C++ and perl).

I use the NetBSD related packages under i386 without any=20
problems :

apache-1.3.6p0      The Apache web server (http://www.apache.org/)
mysql-client-3.22.22 MySQL, a free SQL database (client)
php-3.0.7           PHP3 HTML-embedded programming language with database c=
onnec
mysql-server-3.22.22 MySQL, a free SQL database (server)
php-mysql-3.0.7     PHP3 extension for MySQL databases
ap-php-3.0.7        PHP3 server module for Apache

Voila ! :)

| Universit=E9 de Paris VI=09=09|
| LIP6 - Network & Performance Group    |
|=09=09=09=09 =09|
| http://www-rp.lip6.fr/~bourgin=09|