Subject: Re: Many Thanks... and WTB:
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/01/1999 18:39:59
On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> Once I've got these final items, I'll be able to commence my scariest
> project yet - the Asymetrical MultiProcessing Kernel Make Machine. 8
> VS3100s, all NFS mounting a source tree, each compiling a different bit.
> God, sometimes I scare myself...

A while back someone brought up the idea of modifying the `make -j N'
usage to incorporate support for distributed makes across multiple
machines.  So maybe the syntax would be something like:

  make -J hostname1[,hostname2,...]

You'd have to have the hosts configured properly to handle remote logins,
but I think this should be a workable (and extremely cool) modification.

This would eliminate the need to manually subdivide which bits of the file
tree are arbitrated to compilation on certain hosts.

-brian.
---