Subject: Re: Installboot problem.
To: Jeff Roberson <nomad@nop.aliensystems.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/23/1999 23:09:08
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> I accidently wrote boot, instead of boot_ffs to /dev/rsd0c, which replaced
> the first 50344 bytes of my disk.  Is there anyway I can possibly recover
> from this?  I can still mount /dev/rsd0d, but not rsd0a because it is
> corrupted. Some one tell me there is a magical tool to fix my disk? :-)
> Or at least some way I can recover some of the data.

You may, in fact, be ok. I seem to recall that the first 64k of a
filesystem is not used in order to leave room for the old style
second-stage bootstrap on some systems. Try just restoring your
disklabel and putting in the regular boot, and see what comes back.

Of course, if you don't have a copy of your disklabel you may be
in a bit of trouble. You might make your new disklabel's root go
well into swap and see what fsck will fix, and if it will identify
the real size rather than taking it from the label.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org