Subject: Re: 802.4 "wavelan"?? (was: Summary of NetBSD at usenix)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG, abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/23/1999 14:21:05
>   * 802.4 wavelan support & vendor documentation
>     This would be welcomed by many users, but it is very difficult to
>     get documentation from some vendors. I believe a team in Japan has
>     made significant progress on a driver.

Uh, someone must have mistyped *something* here (I'm not
critisizing, but my interest is piqued by this part of the
report).

AFAIK, 802.4 defines the "token bus" network, and it doesn't
really make sense to me that this protocol is done on a radio
based network.  Maybe you were thinking of 802.11?

Also, isn't "wavelan" more a specific product name than a generic
term?  (I'm always thinking of the old AT&T / Lucent / Digital
hardware when someone says "WaveLAN".)

Does anyone know which hardware the Japanese team is working
with?  I would not expect there to be a single driver for all
802.11 cards out there any more than I expect a single ethernet
interface device driver...

- H=E5vard