Subject: Re: q3test + riva tnt working..
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/04/1999 23:25:26
Mason Loring Bliss writes:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 03:08:04AM -0400, Andrew Gillham wrote:
>
> > I have a native 'glx.so' running on my NetBSD/i386 ELF system right now.
>
> How would one go about building an ELF-based system? Does the kernel and
> userland build in ELF? I don't know much about ELF, but I'm curious. The
> only relevant thing I can find is this, in /usr/share/mk/bsd.README:

I believe Jason Thorpe added 'BOOTSTRAP_ELF' as an option to assist this
transition.  I believe you would set it to YES in /etc/mk.conf, and rebuild
the toolchain.  Perhaps even a 'make build' would work.  This should generate
a toolchain that can build ELF, but defaults to AOUT. (correct me if I am
wrong Jason)  Once this is completed, you can add the 'OBJECT_FMT=ELF' to
/etc/mk.conf and build native ELF binaries.

I _think_ the sequence would be something like this:
(somewhere in this should be a DESTDIR=/some/safe/place??)
- set BOOTSTRAP_ELF=YES in /etc/mk.conf
- build toolchain (src/gnu/usr.bin/????) & lib/csu & libbfd?
- set OBJECT_FMT=ELF in /etc/mk.conf
- set LDSTATIC=-static in /etc/mk.conf (optional? But a good idea I think)
- start building... :)

I would suggest building everything statically first, to allow you to have
the AOUT binaries/libraries still working as you test out ELF binaries.
Once you have a working ELF system, you can build the libraries, and verify
them, then go for it with a make build. :)

Your other option is to just load an ELF snapshot.  I plan on making
most(*) of one available shortly via my webpage, or on ftp.netbsd.org
if they let me.

(*) "most of" being base/comp/kern/text at least, depending on the quota
on my webpage. :)

Would you be able to test a snapshot of -current from this week?

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.