Subject: Re: pthread
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/30/1999 01:27:42
On 29.05.99, 10:57:32, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 08:26:20PM -0700, Albert Tian;226 wrote:
>
> > Is pthread supported on netbsd? I would guess so, but I'd like someone
> > to confirm that... Also is there a thread safe libc available?
>
> There's a pthread library in pkgsrc... I haven't used it, though, so my
> experience is limited to knowing it's there.

I've installed the mit-pthreads pkg, but there are some problems with
it. It is not yet complete, e. g. cancel_thread(), among other
functions are missing. It installs its libs and includes in a
subdirectory <LOCALBASE>/pthreads/{lib/include}, and so additional -I
and -L compiler/linker flags are needed.

I tried to build Basilisk II with it (Macintosh Emulator), but it
failed due to the unimplemented calls. There are other programs that
don't need these.

Other Linux-centric programs fail because some insist on coupling SMP
with threads, and cannot have one without the other (UAE-GUI, e. g.).

--
Bernd Sieker

Unix, the solution to the W2k problem.