Subject: Re: "french"'ised NetBSD available
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/1999 10:02:14
Ken Nakata <knakata@itpjp.co.jp> writes:
> > > This reminds me of ...: any word on i18nized console driver?
> >
> > I thought the console driver *was* internationalized.
>
> You mean, you can connect a keyboard of any language and Just Use It?

No, because there is no way for the hardware to find out what kind of
keyboard it is a priori. HOWEVER, you can just use wsconsctl to set
the keyboard type any time you like, so once you are booted, yes, you
can tell the console driver to use any layout you wish -- French,
German, U.K., whatever.

> Then, why are "a kernel and boot floppies with azerty keyboard
> support" necessary in the first place?

So that the DEFAULT will be AZERTY, and so, more importantly, the
default messages printed will be in french.

Perry