Subject: need help installing NetBSD on IPX
To: None <post+comp.sys.sun.admin@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Zachary Uram <zu22@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/19/1999 12:31:50
I have a Sun SPARCstation 4/50 (IPX - sun4c) which has a floppy disk drive
but no cd-rom. I would like to install NetBSD on it. I checked the INSTALL
notes from ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.3/sparc/INSTALL but
it only mentioned installing from either NFS, FTP or by tape. I do not
have a tape drive either. Is there a way I can get the distribution onto
3.5" floppy diskettes and install from there? Do I need to compile the
source (if so does the installation come with a C compiler?) or are there
binaries for my architecture? Also I would like to add a cd-rom drive at
some point (to make future OS installs easier) but I don't know what
types are compatible with this machine. An external cd-rom would be best.
I have a SCSI hard disk and RAM but I don't know how much I have of each,
is there a PROM command I can do to see how much? Also I would like to add
larger SCSI disk but again I am not sure what type to get. And I would
also like to get a modem but I am not sure what type to get. I think
38.8 Kbps is the max speed for the serial port on this machine, is that
true? Will NetBSD let me use PPP with my modem? I want to do the full
NetBSD install including X, how much space would this take up? If anyone
is selling any of these things or know where I can buy them used at a good
price please let me know. Also I would like to upgrade my memory at some
point, but again I don't know what I need to get?
Please also CC me if you reply to newsgroup.

regards
Zach
uram@cmu.edu
"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have faith." - John 20:29