Subject: Re: virgin disk labels
To: Oleg Polyanski <luke@eed.miee.ru>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/1999 14:28:01
On 17 Apr 1999, Oleg Polyanski wrote:

> > Are there any plans to integrate "automagic" virgin-disk labelling code
> > into NetBSD's disklabel? For example, FreeBSD's disklabel will accept
> > a disk type of 'auto' and attempt to figure out geometry itself.

The NetBSD kernel already does this; it generates a disklabel for
any disk that doesn't have one. Just put the disk in and type
`disklabel sd1' (or whatever sdX the disk is) and you'll see an
initial label you can work from.

> 		disklabel -t sd2 >>/etc/disktab

I prefer to do it without -t to a separate file:

		disklabel sd2 >/etc/disklabels/foo

as I find this format much easier to edit.

Note you can now (as of 1.4) use the -C flag to do your partition
sizes in cylinder/track/sector format rather than byte format,
which I find saves me using a calculator.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org