Subject: Re: virgin disk labels
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/1999 01:54:48
>>>>> "Nathan" == Nathan Dorfman writes:

 Nathan> Are there any plans to integrate "automagic" virgin-disk labelling code
 Nathan> into NetBSD's disklabel? For example, FreeBSD's disklabel will accept
 Nathan> a disk type of 'auto' and attempt to figure out geometry itself. I've got
 Nathan> a 2G UltraStar here I'd like to label for NetBSD/sparc, but there's no
 Nathan> disktab entry for it (drive manufactured after 1969 :)) and code to
 Nathan> automatically label it would be useful and make more sense than hunting
 Nathan> around www.storage.ibm.com for stuff like tracks/cylinder.

	there is no need for this I guess. solution is very simple:

		disklabel -t sd2 >>/etc/disktab

	then you should edit /etc/disktab manually (to change disk name at
least) and write initial disklabel with

		disklabel -wr sd2 YOUR-DISK-NAME-IN-DISKTAB

	after that you could easy edit existing disklabel with

		disklabel -e sd2