Subject: virgin disk labels
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/1999 23:42:57
Are there any plans to integrate "automagic" virgin-disk labelling code
into NetBSD's disklabel? For example, FreeBSD's disklabel will accept
a disk type of 'auto' and attempt to figure out geometry itself. I've got
a 2G UltraStar here I'd like to label for NetBSD/sparc, but there's no
disktab entry for it (drive manufactured after 1969 :)) and code to
automatically label it would be useful and make more sense than hunting
around www.storage.ibm.com for stuff like tracks/cylinder.

The FreeBSD code can always be used, unless it's i386-specific somehow.
--
Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>         The statements and opinions in my
Unix Admin @ Frontline Communications    public posts are mine, not FCC's.