Subject: PC164 Alpha motherboard offer closed
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org,>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/1999 21:21:50
On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 02:15:37AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> I've arranged to make a bulk purchase of Digital AlphaPC164 motherboards,
> with 500MHz processors.  I can make these available to NetBSD users or
> developers at a price somewhere between $175 and $200 each, plus shipping.

[...]
> all orders -- so if you send me email by Friday with how many you want, I'll

Okay, it's Friday evening, and I have to give the vendor a final quantity to
get a price.  I'm closing the offer -- any orders I haven't received yet, I
won't allocate boards to.

I'll send everyone email with a price and request for confirmation on Monday;
if you ordered a board, but haven't received my next message by Tuesday night,
you should contact me to follow up.  A few people have requested that I call
them, and I'll do that sometime Monday.

As far as I know we're within 10% of the total number of boards the vendor
can supply, so I *have* to close the offer but I believe everyone will get
all the boards they wanted.

I need to re-emphasize two points:

	1)	You need to *prepay*.  When I receive your payment, I'll
		move your order from my "confirmed" list to my "can ship
		out" list.  I reserve the right to not ship until checks
		clear, at my discretion.  I'm looking at an X * $10K
		cash-flow problem without prepayment, so you can, I think,
		see my motive here -- I don't have that kind of pocket
		change! :-)

	2)	There is *NO WARRANTY* and *NO GUARANTEE*.  I will
		possibly replace DOA boards, but I expect, based on vendor
		failure rates, possibly 1 or 2 of these in the whole order;
		even that would be a surprise.  If I get too many "DOA"
		claims I'll have to conclude that boards are being blown
		up with static and stop replacing before I run out of
		stock to replace from!  Take all proper ESD precautions!

Also, there are a few questions I should answer:

	1)	Yes, heatsink and fan are included.

	2)	36-bit "true parity" memory is required.  I don't know if
		it's all got to be *exactly* the same, but all SIMMs
		must be of the same size.  More news on 64MB modules:
		They can't be the enormous, 30-odd chip modules made of
		4Mb parts, modules made of higher-density parts should work.

	3) 	You can find the motherboard manual at:

http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/literature/pc164trm.pdf

		(Thanks, Laine!)

That's all, folks!

Thor