Subject: Re: NYC NetBSD get togethers?
To: Greg Obremski <obremski@alpha.fdu.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/1999 06:10:21
On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 05:06:33AM -0400, Greg Obremski wrote:

> He's correct. Under 18 is not allowed to drive within the 5 boroughs, without
> his legal guardian in the car at all times.

Um, as I recall, it's really just _without an adult with a full NYS driver's
license_ in the front passenger seat.  And the parkways (taconic, hutch,
etc.) are Just Plain Forbidden.

But I thought that was all a load of crap, so I drove 80 miles and got a
Connecticut license.  The reciprocity treaties make a full CT license -- the
only kind they issue -- just as good as a full NY license, so I could drive
wherever I wanted to, which was a good thing since I lived in the city and
had to drive out to the 'burbs to work!

I went to high school (a prep school) with a kid whose parents owned a farm
of some kind in North Dakota and who arrived on our first day our freshman
year, at age 14, having had his driver's license for a *year*.  Scary...