Subject: Re: 56KB PPP connection
To: Bill&Virginia Hodges <hodges@oz.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/1999 22:41:03
On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Bill&Virginia Hodges wrote:

> What AT command arguments work with
> a Hayes external modem to get 56 KB.
>
> Works fine at 28.8 with no arguments.

You can force a particular speed by setting S38. e.g. S38=8 forces a
44000 56K connection (or die).

Try also ATI11 just after you've hung up. There you'll see not only
the connect speed, but the final speed (unless you've forced it by
setting S38, in which case it won't change).

Do you know if you have a Lucent Technologies or a Rockwell chipset?
ATI3 can help answer that question. I found that Lucent had a pdf with
all the options on their web site, but it wasn't exactly correct for
my particular Hayes/Lucent chipset modem.

In the long run, I've found that the Hayes 56K modems were just really
poor, and no amount of tweaking will help that.