Subject: Re: Routing with NetBSD 1.3.3
To: Lukas Ruf <lpruf@stud.ee.ethz.ch>
From: None <grefen_c@hprc.tandem.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/06/1999 13:28:28
In message <Pine.GSO.4.10.9904061107330.16718-100000@tardis-a2.ee.ethz.ch>  Lukas Ruf wrote:

[...]

> My Questions:
> *************
> Can you give me the solution to:
> 	- why can I do A <-> C and B <-> C but not A <-> B (via C) ??

    Because C doesn't forward the packets

> 	- what's the reason that C doest not forward all packets with
> 	  destination other destination than C itself ?

    Because forwarding is turned off  (either in your kernel is compiled
    without the GATEWAY option, or forwarding is turned of during
    startup).
    do a
    sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
    I guess it will respond:
    net.inet.ip.forwarding = 0

> 	- what's the solution to this problem, do you give it to me if
> 	  possible ?

    do a
    sysctl -w  net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

    You have to this every time you reboot (this can go into /etc/netstart)
    unless you compile your kernel with the GATEWAY option set.

If this is not in the FAQ it should be there .....

> Kind Regards,
>
> Lukas

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center