Subject: Anyone in here object to random chatter?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/30/1999 08:13:51
It's been suggested that The NetBSD project already has netbsd-users, which
may or may not be appropriate for random chatter.

"Random chatter," in this case, I'm defining as stuff that may not be relevant
to anything regarding NetBSD. The idea is for NetBSD folks to have a mailing
list where they can simply chat about things, and thus strengthen our
community bonds and consequently the project as a whole.

I want this to happen, because I love running NetBSD. It makes me happy, and
I want it to make more people happy. I <strong>strongly</strong> feel that
we need to develop some community spirit for the project to thrive. MAYBE if
we communicate more and try to integrate each other to some extent into our
lives, we'll thrive more as a community.

In my view, NetBSD doesn't have to take over the world - it just has to be
strong as a project, and recognized as such. Having a community that attracts
people alongside the raw attraction of our technical merits is a completely
winning situation.

So... How many people who read this list would object to having its meaning
overloaded with random chatter? When I first started following / using / being
a part of the NetBSD project, I remember taking to heart the admonition that
I should think carefully about posting to netbsd-users, since lots of folks
read it. I'd like to see this idea changed.

If you like the idea of netbsd-users being the correct place for chatter,
please speak up. If you feel there are compelling reasons not to do this,
also speak up, and consider being vocal about requesting that netbsd-chat
be created. (I pondered starting up my own netbsd-chat list, but I've
decided that it has to be something that NetBSD does itself for it to be
anything other than unduly fractious.)

Thanks for your time...

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped