Subject: Advantage in MFS for /tmp? (was: About /tmp?)
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/23/1999 13:09:55
> The only gotcha with MFS is that once it has allocated memory for the amount
> of
> space you specify it does not release it back to the system when /tmp usage
> goes down. This means that if you make the MFS too big you can exhaust the

If that's the case, then what's the advantage in doing it? I've always been
curious about this because AFAICT that's not different to choosing a larger
size for the partition you would have otherwise had /tmp on, and decreasing
your swap partition by the same amount.

I guess one can be more easily reconfigured than the other, but is there
another advantage?

	- Joel