Subject: Re: About /tmp? syzygy
To: None <bmike@bigfoot.com, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/1999 21:02:27
> I want to use MFS for /tmp. How large should /tmp be?

It really depends what you are going to do. For normal use I would say about
40MB. I use 50MB here since I occasionally need to do some /tmp heavy stuff
with CVS.

The only gotcha with MFS is that once it has allocated memory for the amount of
space you specify it does not release it back to the system when /tmp usage
goes down. This means that if you make the MFS too big you can exhaust the
total memory of the system. I would guess as a safety margin MFS should be no
bigger than 1/2 of your swap space to allow for VM usage by other programs.

Mike