Subject: Root, toor accounts.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/1999 11:35:34
When I installed my system, there were two UID 0 accounts: root and toor.

Is there a reason to include both?  I've left them both in there, since
that's the way that the system sets itself up; I thought that there might
be some reason for having both.  But, the daily script, of course, always
checks (and reports on) duplicate accounts---including the ``standard''
root/toor duality.

So, would it harm anything if I remove one them?

What if I remove toor and change the other to something OTHER than
``root'' (still UID 0)?  I gather that the UID is what is really
important, so it shouldn't matter---but by that argument, having both root
& toor makes absolutely no sense, either.

(My thought with renaming the UID 0 account was to then create an
unprivileged ``root'', as a kind of amusement should anyone try to login
as root on my system.  It wouldn't be a serious deterant to a committed
hacker, but...)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu