Subject: Trying (and failing) to Net-Boot a Sun 4M
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Smallwood <steve.smallwood@beulah.u-net.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/03/1999 22:11:33
Hi All,

I'm in the process of trying to install NetBSD 1.3.3 on an old
Tadpole SparcBook3 and am running into a few problems - mostly
because I haven't done this before.

I have a Linux box which is acting as a boot server, I've managed
to get RARP/ARP working once I read about rarpd being in the
kernel and not a daemon, and tftp is working. (I've tried ftfp
from the command line and it's OK).

When I type "boot net" from the ok prompt the laptop correctly
determines it's IP address using RARP, and proceeds to download
the correct file (symlinked to boot.net in /tftpboot) - this file
is then executed and this is where it all stops.

If I understand the process correctly the RARP protocol provides
the machines IP address, this then allows the machine to request
a unique filename from the tftp server which it then boots, and I
guess the "bootparamd whoami" (which fails) is supposed to give
the location of the NFS mounted root partition and the server on
which this is found.

Do I understand this correctly?

I have read as many man pages and HOWTOs as I can find but am
unsure as to how I am supposed to configure the /etc/bootparams
file on the Linux server and what should be in it.

Has anyone got a sample /etc/bootparams file they can mail to
me - or advice on where I might be going wrong?

Many Thanks,

Steve Smallwood - Glasgow, Scotland.