Subject: Re: Shared object questions.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/25/1999 09:42:17
On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Zach Fine wrote:

> Windowmaker ships with ane uses its own widget library, called
> WINGs. I've grepped through Windowmaker 0.50.2 and found no use of the
> Gtk. If the package system is refusing to allow folk to pkg_delete gtk

[To Zach, sorry for duplicating, here, the basic content of my private
 email to you...]

I probably should have said, "Some program."  I'm 85% certain that I had
to delete Windowmaker (though it may have been an indirect
dependancy---several things depend on gtk; if WindowMaker used any of
them, that would account for it).  It was for illustration, however, of a
point that struck me as odd about the GIMP, the gtk, and other clients of
other versions of the gtk.

Had it occured to me that people would take concern over the particular
dependancy cited, I would either have noted it more carefully at the time,
or I would have simply been vague.  (Of course...anyone who is deeply
concerned is free to determine whether what I remembered has any real
bearing on the current packages...)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu