Subject: Re: IP masquerading with 1.3.3
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/1999 09:35:03
Simon Burge wrote:
> "Bernhard H. Buckel" wrote:
> > I'm trying to find out how to setup my 5000/50 as a dial-on-demand
> > router to connect my LAN to the 'net. Standalone connection works just
> > fine, now I'm looking for help regarding the following:
> >
> > - Is there a way to implement a dial-on-demand solution? I know the
> >   Linux-diald but this program just won't compile (obviously it's very
> >   Linux-specific). Is there another package floating around that's
> >   known to compile and work under NetBSD?
>
> pppd has support for demand dailing, but I've never used it.
>
> > - I searched the kernel source for an equivalent of what's known as
> >   IP-masquerading under Linux - no luck. Do I really have to use a PC
> >   <YUCK> running Linux to serve as a router?
>
> "IP-masquerading" is a Linux term.  What you want is "NAT" - Network
> Address Translation - which is available with IP Filter and is included
> in NetBSD.
>
> http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/pppnat/ appears to have some info on
> NAT and PPP, but doesn't seem to cover demand dailing.

Take a look at:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/private/pgoyette/pppd/ppp-dod.tgz

for an example of how to do dial-on-demand PPP.  You might have to change
a couple of things around since I'm pretty sure that the scripts/config
files were written for the mac68k port, but many people have used it
successfully to get going.

I hope this helps.

Later.

Colin