Subject: Re: IP masquerading with 1.3.3
To: None <buckel@wmad95.mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/1999 22:54:24
"Bernhard H. Buckel" wrote:

> Dear mailinglist,

I'm sending this back to the netbsd-users mailing list - these topics
are general for NetBSD and not DECstation specific.

> I'm trying to find out how to setup my 5000/50 as a dial-on-demand
> router to connect my LAN to the 'net. Standalone connection works just
> fine, now I'm looking for help regarding the following:
>
> - Is there a way to implement a dial-on-demand solution? I know the
>   Linux-diald but this program just won't compile (obviously it's very
>   Linux-specific). Is there another package floating around that's
>   known to compile and work under NetBSD?

pppd has support for demand dailing, but I've never used it.

> - I searched the kernel source for an equivalent of what's known as
>   IP-masquerading under Linux - no luck. Do I really have to use a PC
>   <YUCK> running Linux to serve as a router?

"IP-masquerading" is a Linux term.  What you want is "NAT" - Network
Address Translation - which is available with IP Filter and is included
in NetBSD.

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/pppnat/ appears to have some info on
NAT and PPP, but doesn't seem to cover demand dailing.

Simon.