Subject: Re: Community Issues
To: Scott Reynolds <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/21/1999 21:57:46
On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 04:49:55PM -0600, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> Regarding the bickering, this isn't true.  Hang out on their lists for a
> while; the grass really isn't any greener over there.

The only other OS whose lists I read at the moment is FreeBSD, and while they
have some heated discussions on freebsd-hackers, the general feel is a lot
more friendly than what I see on our side of the fence. Maybe this is
selective perception on my part, but it *is* my current perception.

> I also don't believe that we have no visible direction.  We are making
> steady progress with the integration of new ports and new hardware, and I
> don't believe that any free UN*X has matched our technical innovation.

The Debian GNU/Linux project has a page

that describes what the goals of the project are for any particular release.
Such a page for NetBSD would be welcome. Right now, I track -current and
build it fairly regularly, but I have absolutely no idea what direction
we're taking, or why. Our direction is not clear to me.

Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped ((   from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore