Subject: Re: How to install to a Laptop
To: Lukas Ruf <lpruf@stud.ee.ethz.ch>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/03/1999 21:28:57
Lukas Ruf wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Guenther Grau wrote:
> Guenther,
>
> Ok, thanks. I'll do that. I was quite insured, when I first read the
> paper you mentioned:
> 3. Booting NetBSD
>
>         [PCMCIA]: unplug your PCMCIA devices, so that they won't be
>         found by NetBSD.
>
> I thought booting for installation will work the same way... So, I'll
> try an tell you about the results.

This is bad wording. You should try to have them inserted when booting.
Only if this doesn't work, you must remove them. In this case, you must
check the interrupt assignments to avoid collisions mentioned in the
1. paragraph of above document. If this still doesn't work, you need
to boot with the devices and then you might have to use a serial cable
to install NetBSD :-( Or, you could ask someone to built a custom
kernel for your laptop. For this, we need the boot mesg-output and
a list of devices in the machine.

Good luck,

  Guenther :-)