Subject: Re: ne1: device timeout (Sorry)...
To: Francesco Zerra <zerra@cmns.mnegri.it>
From: Robert Alexander Baxter <rbaxte03@harris.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/03/1999 08:35:45
Francesco Zerra wrote:

> I have a NetBSD-1.3.3 box that will be running as a firewall.
>
> I've, obviously, two network cards and I got a lot of 'device timeout'
> messages.
>
> These lines are the output of 'dmesg'
> ep1 at eisa0 slot 3: 3Com 3C579-TP Ethernet
> ep1: interrupting at irq 10
> ep1: MAC address 00:20:af:74:d3:a9
> ep1: 8KB byte-wide FIFO, 5:3 Rx:Tx split, utp/aui (default utp)
> ne1 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f irq 10
> ne1: NE2000 Ethernet
> ne1: Ethernet address 00:60:52:00:f8:cc

Do you see in the dmesg output that both cards are using irq 10?
You must change one of them.  They cannot both be used with the
same interrupt.  For the ne1 you should be able to download a
DOS utility to change the interrupt (irq 10) setting and even
the port (0x300-0x31f) setting if you wish.  Often there is an
EEPROM (or some kind of non-volatile storage) on the card which will
save the settings while the computer is off.  I would just change
the irq 10 setting on that card to another number.  You might try
irq 5 if you don't have a COM3 (internal modem, for instance) or
irq 7 if you don't use the parallel port.  Sound cards will often
use irq5 or irq 7 by default, though, so if you have one of those,
you might want to check which interrupt it's using.  You might be
able to use irq 2 for the ne1 if you don't have an ATX power supply.
ATX power supplies use irq 9, which is wired to irq 2, in a way.
My NE2000-compatible card also allows choosing either irq 11 or irq
12.  You could try using the DOS utility on one of these driver
disks:

   ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/lne20001.exe
   ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/lne20002.exe

-Alex (:-)
 rbaxte03@harris.com