Subject: Re: how post-configuration after installation
To: Oliver Graemer <graemer@okay.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/29/1999 11:46:07
On Jan 29, Oliver Graemer wrote
> Dear all,
>
> I have installed NetBSD-1.3.2 on my DEC UDB. I used Linux befor but
> NetBSD is more difficult to configure (so I'm always logged on an
> root-> no login prompt). I tryed to look up documents under
> /usr/share/doc but I didn't find any infos.
>
> I need more instruction which things are to do in order to get a well
> running system.

Well, I guess you get a single-user prompt.
So the first thing to do is mount your disks read/write:
fsck -p && mount -a
then set up env to get the editor working:
export TERM=pc3
now you can edit /etc/rc.conf. You have to set RC_CONFIGURED to yes, and
may also want to tweak a few other options here.

Once you've done that you should be able to reboot and get a login: prompt.
Now you can login as root, set the root passwd, add packages
(see http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html) and
configure X.