Subject: Re: read-only system -> change
To: Oliver Graemer <graemer@okay.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/26/1999 20:55:54
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Oliver Graemer wrote:

> now I got my NetBSD installed. But the system is read-only so I can't
> edit /etc/hosts with ed.
> Which files do I have to change in order to make the system not
> read-only (-> and multi-user)?

This is what I might do:

	fsck
	mount -a
	eval `tset -s vt220`
	vi /etc/rc.conf

(or use "ed" if that's what you really want!) Now change the NO in
rc_configured=NO to YES, also fill in your hostname, and change any of
the other settings that apply. Save and exit ("ZZ" with vi). Give root
a password:

	passwd -l root

Now reboot,

	shutdown -r now

and with any luck, your system will come up in multi-user mode. If you
need to put something in /etc/hosts, you can do that after you login:
the change will take effect immediately.