Subject: NIS interop problems under 1.3.2?
To: , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Devin L. Ganger <devin@premier1.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/04/1999 06:12:24
I'm reposting this from my mail on netbsd-users on 10 Dec 1998, since I
didn't get any answer.

In the meantime, the NetBSD 1.3.2 box is no longer running -- we needed the
box for another purpose -- and we're seriously evaluating a Linux
distribution at this time for the replacement server.  I'd still prefer
NetBSD, but NIS interop is an absolute must-have.

<repost>
So now I've got another problem.  Blacktower, the NetBSD 1.3.2/i386 box, is
set up as a slave NIS server for the 206.129.73.0 network.  The master
server, potemkin, is a Solaris 2.6/i386 box on the 206.40.134.0 network.

When I run make from /var/yp on potemkin, all the maps are pushed to
blacktower and the one other slave server correctly -- except for
passwd.adjunct.byname.  (We need this map because we have a couple of SunOS
4.1.x machines around, as well as quite a few Solaris 2.x machines -- all of
which are using shadowed passwords.)  This is the error message I see on
potemkin:

(potemkin:root) /var/yp $ make
updated passwd

pushed passwd
updated netid

pushed netid
updated passwd.adjunct

Status received from ypxfr on blacktower:
        Failed - ypxfr had an RPC failure
pushed passwd.adjunct

I've also notice that the push process takes about 5 times as long as it did
when blacktower was a Solaris 2.6/i386 box.  I'm not sure what to chalk that
up to.

How stable is the NIS support in 1.3.2?  This is a feature that, as horribly
nasty as NIS is, is defintely crucial for us right now, and if it won't play
well with Sun's NIS, then I need to start quickly looking elsewhere for an
OS that can.

--
Devin L. Ganger
Chief Systems Administrator, Premier1 Internet Services, Inc., Sultan, WA