Subject: RE: NIS/YP and master.passwd
To: None <>
From: Devin L. Ganger <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/10/1998 11:27:20
On 09 Dec 1998, Dan wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Devin Ganger wrote:

> > What is the correct syntax for adding + and - (NIS/YP) entries into
> > master.passwd so that they actually are correctly generated
> > in passwd?  Or do I need to worry about it?

> On a 1.3.2 machine I have, I have the following at the end of
> /etc/master.passwd
> +@anantha-group:::::::::
> and in /etc/passwd
> +@anantha-group:*:0:0:::

So now I've got another problem.  Blacktower, the NetBSD 1.3.2/i386 box, is
set up as a slave NIS server for the network.  The master
server, potemkin, is a Solaris 2.6/i386 box on the network.

When I run make from /var/yp on potemkin, all the maps are pushed to
blacktower and the one other slave server correctly -- except for
passwd.adjunct.byname.  (We need this map because we have a couple of SunOS
4.1.x machines around, as well as quite a few Solaris 2.x machines -- all of
which are using shadowed passwords.)  This is the error message I see on

(potemkin:root) /var/yp $ make
updated passwd

pushed passwd
updated netid

pushed netid
updated passwd.adjunct

Status received from ypxfr on blacktower:
        Failed - ypxfr had an RPC failure
pushed passwd.adjunct

I've also notice that the push process takes about 5 times as long as it did
when blacktower was a Solaris 2.6/i386 box.  I'm not sure what to chalk that
up to.

How stable is the NIS support in 1.3.2?  This is a feature that, as horribly
nasty as NIS is, is defintely crucial for us right now, and if it won't play
well with Sun's NIS, then I need to start quickly looking elsewhere for an
OS that can.

Devin L. Ganger
Chief Systems Administrator, Premier1 Internet Services, Inc., Sultan, WA
"....yet he is not two, but one Chirst; one, not by conversion of
the Godhead into flesh, but by taking of the Manhood into God...."
The Creed of Saint Athanasius, on the nature of Jesus Christ