Subject: YP setup
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/29/1998 23:01:44
I'm trying to set up YP to maintain a common password database for
several machines.  I am running ypserv/ypbind/rpc.yppasswdd on my
master server and ypbind on another machine.  I can run passwd on the
non-master machine to change the password on the master.  However, the
change does not propagate to the non-master machine (that is, I still
have to log into the non-master machine using the original password).
I have an entry like the following in my master.passwd on the
non-master machine:

	+:::::::::

I thought this was supposed to bring in the YP map information.  Also,
yptest and ypcat work just fine on my non-master machine in that they
report various maps.

What are the tricks for setting up YP?  What files must be set up in
what way?

How does information on the server get propagated to other machines?

Do I need to do something special to /etc/netgroup?  That is, is the
domain part of (host,user,domain) a DNS or NIS domain, and how is that
part of the entry used?

Any help greatly appreciated (including ideas on how else to do this).
Thanks!

Cheers,
Brook