Subject: Re: 486DLC CYRIX CACHE UNCHANGED message, what is it?
To: Michael VanLoon <mvanloon@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/27/1998 17:20:49
On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Michael VanLoon wrote:

: >What do the CYRIX_CACHE_[REALLY_]WORKS defines mean? And what are they
: >supposed to do besides changing the message? I think we need someone
: >more knowing than us to answer the question :-)

: The CYRIX_CACHE_WORKS setting was for enabling the paranoid mode on 386
: motherboards, so you got some benefit, but it was still fairly safe on
: most decent motherboards.
:
: The CYRIX_CACHE_REALLY_WORKS setting was for enabling the full-caching
: mode on boards that didn't set it up correctly in the BIOS, but where
: hardware support worked (or where there weren't any bus-master devices
: in the system and you were willing to run in "risky" mode).

If these exist, they should be made into kernel options and put into GENERIC
(albeit commented out) with comments indicating what they do.

Granted, DUMMY_NOPS should really be renamed and its logic reversed ....