Subject: Re: 486DLC CYRIX CACHE UNCHANGED message, what is it?
To: None <johnam@mail.kemper.org>
From: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/25/1998 21:37:57
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:55:34 -0600, you wrote:
>I jut put a 486 80Mhz based webserver together for the local Boy Scouts =
and
>I get the message 486DLC CYRIX CACHE UNCHANGED within 3 lines of the =
kernel
>boot.

Although I don't know the details, I assume that it refers to the fact
that the Cx486DLC has a special on-chip cache, that needs to be
enabled to be used. The Cx486DLC was originally designed as a 386DX
upgrade chip with 486 features. I think the message refers to the fact
that NetBSD does'nt change the enabled/disabled state of this cache.

I assume that if the BIOS recognizes the CPU (as mine does), it
enables the cache.

... just checked /sys/arch/i386/i386/machdep.c that prints the
message:=20

        if (cpu =3D=3D CPU_486DLC) {
#ifndef CYRIX_CACHE_WORKS
                printf("WARNING: CYRIX 486DLC CACHE UNCHANGED.\n");
#else
#ifndef CYRIX_CACHE_REALLY_WORKS
                printf("WARNING: CYRIX 486DLC CACHE ENABLED IN
HOLD-FLUSH MODE.\
n");
#else
                printf("WARNING: CYRIX 486DLC CACHE ENABLED.\n");
#endif
#endif
        }

What do the CYRIX_CACHE_[REALLY_]WORKS defines mean? And what are they
supposed to do besides changing the message? I think we need someone
more knowing than us to answer the question :-)

Anders