Subject: RE: BSD advertising clause
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/12/1998 10:51:13
On 12-Nov-98 VaX#n8 spoke unto us all:
#  I had never heard of the advertsising clause and it does seem a
#  bit burdensome to me:
#
# >NetBSD comes with a long list of different sentences required for any
# >advertisement; I counted 75 of them. That was in a manual I saw in 1997.

Disclaimer:  I am not a copyright lawyer, and I do not speak for the TNF.

1) The advertising clause is not required

2) All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
   must display the following acknowledgement:

Thus, if you dont mention the "foo support", you dont have to advertise it.

There has been alot of effort lately as well to give copyrights to The NetBSD
foundation, eliminating alot of the length of that list.  There are some we may
never be rid of however, such as the carryover's from 386BSD.. However,  this
in reality is not a hinderance to someone selling netbsd, or using it to
derrive an OS from.

If I say "support for lots of different hardware"
I don't have to acknowledge everyone.. but if I say:
"support for the foosys controller", then I have to acknowledge the author *if*
there is a clause in that driver.

As opposed to GNU, where you cant sell a derrived OS, period.

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org