Subject: Re: How NetBSD manages CVS and 3rd-party sources
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/28/1998 11:22:05
"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

> VaX#n8 writes:
> > What is the procedure you folks use for importing 3rd-party sources
> > into CVS; particularly the issue of file renaming, and making sure
> > that local modifications get propogated?
>
> CVS handles local modifications automatically. See the man page for
> details. Import warns you of conflicts. it is very cool.

Hi Perry,

while it warns you on imports, AFAIK, it doesn't

a) take care of file renaming
b) making sure that local modifications get propagated back

and to the original poster,

for some packages there are scripts in the tree which are called
packetName2netbsd, which supposedly take care of a). They
have to be edited by hand, though, and thus face the problem
of being out of date. It would be great if we had a tool
that automagically created this and sent it back to the maintainer
of the package. This could be helpful for the package collection
as well, as the patches should be reported back to the maintainers
as well.

  Guenther