Subject: Problem installing via FTP with 3c509
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: tim.parkinson <tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/27/1998 10:50:03
Hi,

	I was wondering if anyone could help me out.  I'm trying, without success
to install NetBSD i386 (rev 2.2 boot disk) on a 486/66 that we've had spare
here in the office.

The problem I'm getting is that although the netcard, an ISA 3Com 3c509 (TPO
version), appears to be found at boot time (on IRQ 10 base 300 -verified
with the 3Com diags disk).

After setting the network parameters for an FTP install, the install routine
complains that it couldn't ping either the gateway or the DNS server
addresses.  I've verified both are alive, then tried pinging the address of
the machine I'm installing with no luck.

I've also gotten to a shell prompt from the install routine and checked
ifconfig.  everything there seems fine, I can ping the IP of the card
successfully, but still not ping out to the gateway or DNS (or indeed
anything else).

I've tried two identical cards with no luck (same problems).  Any ideas?
Thanks,

Tim Parkinson -Technical Manager
Computer Clothing Research
Tel: +44(0)115 9486851 Fax: +44(0)115 9486852
tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk