Subject: Re: modern version of PGP for NetBSD?
To: Bob Klepfer <asnrok01@asnmail.asc.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/26/1998 18:44:53
On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Bob Klepfer wrote:

: This may start a flame war I realize, but I have it from a security pro
: that between 2.6.x and 5.0 some of the very basics changed (2.6 and 5.0
: encoded messages are not interchangeable?) and they no longer make their
: source available.  If you're really paranoid, this rings bells....of
: course, if you're this paranoid, you probably hear bells a lot.

Actually, the commercial version of PGP 5.0 _is_ interworkable with 2.6 - it
allows you to create 2.x RSA keys as well as sign using 2.x keys.  The
freeware version can only make use of existing 2.x keys for encryption, and
connot generate 2.x keys (you're stuck with the 5.x Diffie-Hellman keys).

The source for PGP 5.0 is available through www.pgpi.com (NO, not
www.pgp.com), but because of the licensing, isn't legal to *use* anywhere,
just to read.  ;)