Subject: Re: shell at startup?
To: phil freeman <freeman@lbpc.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/23/1998 12:43:39
phil freeman writes:
> Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> > phil freeman wrote:
> > >
> > > right now i'm recompiling my kernel from work... where can i find the
> > > config file that starts the shell during boot-up so i can remotely
> > > reboot my box ?
> >
> > I'm afraid your question doesn't make much sense as worded.  Perhaps if
> > you could give some more information, I might be able to help you.  Good
> > luck!
>
> when i boot i get a root shell comes up before it finishes. it's
> actually before the root partition is mounted read write. and if i
> reboot it remotely it'll just sit there.... any ideas ?

Either you are booting the machine single user, in which case it is
doing what you are asking it to do, or the system is printing an error
message to the effect that fsck has failed, and you are ignoring
it. If the root partition *is* read write and you aren't correct,
anything in /etc/rc might be failing in some catastrophic manner.

The error messages that get printed out under such circumstances are
generally pretty explicit.

You will pardon my saying this, but you've posted a couple of messages
to tech-net and netbsd-users and such that indicate that you haven't
ever read the /etc/rc script to see what it does or read the
documentation or paid any attention to the error messages printed on
boot.

Perry