Subject: Re: broken libwrap.so? in 1.3.2/sparc
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/15/1998 22:34:30
On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 10:24:38PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > After compiling ucd-snmp 3.5.3 from -current's pkgsrc (the 1.3.2 wants
> > ucd-snmp 3.5 which doesn't exist on the distribution site anymore), and
> > adding --with-libwrap, I get this problem:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_deny_severity" in snmpget:/usr/lib/libwrap.so.0.0
>
> The problem is that libwrap expects the "calling" program to define
> 'deny_severity' (and 'allow_severity', the two most inappropriately
> named globals in libwrap!).  I don't know if ucd-snmp acually makes use
> of the libwrap functions, or not.  If not then '-lwrap' should not be
> used when linking it.  If it does then it must define global variables
> to satisfy the references in the library [see hosts_access(3)].

libwrap is only actually *used* in snmpd, which defines the variables
correctly. However, with --with-libwrap, it links the client programs,
snmpget, snmpwalk, others with libwrap as well. Since these don't make
use of libwrap at all and don't define the variables, this fails. I am
going to e-mail the maintainers of ucd-snmp and ask them why they are
being linked with libwrap. If it's not using the functionality there's
no reason for libwrap to even be loaded. For now, perhaps there should
be a patch in pkgsrc/net/ucd-snmp/patches?

--
  / Nathan Dorfman \  / "`IE4 brings the web to UNIX'? *laughing*