Subject: Re: Backing up NetBSD
To: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
From: None <daemond@ibm.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/1998 09:10:56

Now multivolume support with gzip might be a bit of a problem.
I think (haven't experiment with gzip and dump for a long time so don't hold
me to this) the command for a gzip dump is something like:
dump -0 /dev/rsd0a (or whatever partion being backed up) | gzip -9 > /dev/rst0
(or whatever device you're backing up to).  I suppose you could try setting
the record size option in dump to the size of your back up HDD and play with
that a little (gzip might just be stupid enough to work with it).

If you want a good tape drive to do the job I recommend a Travan 4 tape drive
(4 GB uncompressed should be more than enough).  Currently TR-4 drives are
available in IDE, SCSI, and parallel.  I have a SCSI TR-4 and have had no
trouble with it.

Geoff Gowey			| NetBSD: the best multi-platform OS
steplogic(at)geocities.com	| www.netbsd.org
My PGP Key is availiable on my home page at: *
www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6749/ * Key id: 35E887AD
Length: 2048-bit | RSA Encryption | Generation date: January 19th, 1998
"All I ask is for the chance to prove that money can't buy me happiness"
Spammers beware: I do not buy from companies that spam and I keep track!
Above policy STRICTLY ENFORCED!