Subject: Re: Site Development
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Palmer <reid@pconline.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/1998 00:55:47
On Sun, 30 Aug 1998 chrismar@console.org wrote:

> This is kind of off topic, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I don't think it's off-topic, and I think your idea is worthy of
consideration.

> I'm trying to create a web site for all free un*x users.  Whether they be
> FreeBSDers, Linuxers, NetBSDers, OpenBSDers, or any un*x users at all. I'm
> thinking of something kinda like slashdot.org or freshmeat.net but not as
> Linux centric.  Something that all un*x users/operators can enjoy just
> just Linux users can enjoy.

Slashdot is Linux-centric, but not unduly so, imho. I mean, of the free
Unix community, Linux holds a vast majority of the mindshare. I think that
if OpenBSD or HURD grew in userbase, slashdot would grow with the
community. As for Freshmeat, inasmuch as the software and the platform is
standards-compliant, it should work on any POSIX system.

In any case, my own organization's Web site (SIGFS;
http://acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/) tries to be free-software-general,
rather than Linux-specific. It succeeds inasmuch as it is developed, but I
don't get much time to work on it, if you take my meaning. I have visions
for it similar to what you're doing. We're going to do a test-trial of
HURD on some cheesy old gear we accumulated via donation, and we'll post
our results on the site. But that's where we're at.

> Now, this is going to be no easy task, so I'm looking for people to help.
> I really need people that can make kick ass web pages, kick ass graphics,
> and write stories/articles.  I also need people that seem to get the
> inside scoop quickly.  Also, any developers who may care to share upcoming
> events/releases/etc...

Well, *I* consider my work to be kick-ass, but then I have a different
aesthetic than most people. :) My clients pay me, though, so I must be
doing a few things right. Point being, I'd consider helping you out, or
even merging our projects, if I were convinced that we would be filling a
needed gap. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of that. Consider all the Web
sites germane to the topic that are already out: gnu.org, opensource.org,
slashdot.org, freshmeat.net, hell, even themes.org counts for something.
What would your site offer that is significantly different?

I'm interested; convince me!

Christopher Reid Palmer   reid@pconline.com   www.pconline.com/~reid

"I've heard from several women around the country who are also buying
metal boxes." -- Ann Landers