Subject: pppd not exiting on hangup
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/27/1998 10:33:27
     I setup a machine running NetBSD 1.3.2 as a remote router at a
location that doesn't have very good phone service (i.e. phone calls
get dropped quite frequently).  I used the trick that somebody posted
a long time ago of putting the pppd command into /etc/ttys so that
init will keep the connection up.  This has always worked fine in the
past, even on NetBSD 1.3.0.  But, now I'm having the problem that pppd
doesn't always exit when the call gets dropped like it should.  I'm
not sure if this is a serial driver problem or a problem with pppd.
But, it is really annoying and not doing much for my reputation (every
time I upgrade the machine one problem gets solved, but another appears).
Does anybody have any idea where the problem lies and how to solve it?