Subject: Re: X bit depth question...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/26/1998 13:52:16
Mason Loring Bliss writes:
> Hi, all. I'm dying to play some sort of game. My machine has more than
> enough power to run anything out there nowadays, but I'm having trouble
> finding something that is satisfying. (For a fleeting moment I even pondered
> leaping over to Linux so I could play games, but that isn't really likely.)
>
> Anyway, Doom is out there, but it requires 256 colours. Is there any way
> to switch screen depths on the fly, without having to kill and restart xdm?

I know you can control the screen resolution on the fly -- I don't
know if you can control the "visual" if it switches to/from true
color, but I suspect you can switch other things. Read the XFree
documentation for details, but XFree is capable of doing some cool
things.

> I typically run in sixteen-bit mode, FWIW.

Doom can't handle a true color visual? It *requires* a non-true color
visual? I find that hard to believe, but if it is true, the sources to
Doom are available and should be *very* easy to fix on this (unless
they are playing colormap tricks to simulate animation :( )

Perry