Subject: RE: X bit depth question...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/26/1998 00:53:56
On 25-Jul-98 Mason Loring Bliss spoke unto us all:
#  leaping over to Linux so I could play games, but that isn't really likely.)
Heathen!  ;)

#  Anyway, Doom is out there, but it requires 256 colours. Is there any way
#  to switch screen depths on the fly, without having to kill and restart xdm?
#  I typically run in sixteen-bit mode, FWIW.

A trick I used to use with the Firewall-1 product (which was hideously broken)
Was to actually start two xservers.. on different pcvt consoles.. One in 8bpp
and one in 24bpp.  That way I could do a pcvt switch and use the other console
for the stupid gui.

#  Thanks in advance for the information. Also, if anyone has any games they
#  can recommend that run under -current and that have nice graphics and good
#  sound, I'd love some recommendations... I'm wading through trying to build
#  Abuse, although I've hit some snags that are keeping me from getting the
#  silly thing to install properly.

Umm.. I just PR'd a pkg for that..  why not try it?

#  I'm going to try to learn how to build packages, so that other folks that
#  have similar cravings will have an easier time of it.

Good idea..  I've been slowly hammering away at some games in my spare time
lately..  I've gotten through a good number of them.. but there are about 50-60
more on the horizon..  The work never ends...

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html