Subject: Testimonials and strategic advice sought...
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/08/1998 21:30:58
Hi, all.

The company that hired me a month and a half ago is moving to a new site,
and we're going to be getting a T1. I'm going to be doing the Unix end of
our system administration, which will account for pretty much all of it,
given that NT exists mainly on laptops which'll be using Unix-based DHCP.
(I think there'll be *one* NT desktop box.)

We're going to be sitting behind a firewall, and we're going to have one
system behind the firewall that'll serve up mail and ssh connections, among
other things. (The firewall will pass back certain connections to this one
machine unmolested.)

I want to run NetBSD on both the firewall box and the server. I know that
NetBSD is more than capable of handling these jobs, but my boss isn't
particularly positive about it. He used to use FreeBSD, and he's in favour
of that, I think. However, since I'm the person who actually has to run the
things, he's willing to let me try to convince him otherwise. (One issue
is that the products my company makes don't directly support NetBSD, even
though it would be trivially easy for them to do so... However, for firewall
duty and general network service, that just doesn't matter.)

What I'd like are testimonials from folks who are using NetBSD in similar
situations, either on firewall duty for their company or in use serving up
mail or other things in a "real, mission-critical, blah blah corporate jargon
blah" environment. I'm going to dig through the NetBSD web site for this sort
of thing, but the addition of active testimonials would be a great boon. I
want to be able to point to several sites out there that are successfully
using NetBSD in a role that's important to their companies.

The other OSes we'd likely consider are FreeBSD, Linux (probably Red Hat),
and Solaris. Any of these would likely do the trick, but I'd really very
much rather run my OS of choice. :)

Thanks in advance for the help. If we're successful in injecting NetBSD into
my company, I'll be able to provide useful testimonials for NetBSD in the
future, as well as probably listing my company in the NetBSD Gallery or
something. More exposure is good. More people need to know that NetBSD is
out there and that it's a completely viable solution to many problems.

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments