Subject: Re: Tar and Find Problem
To: Torsten Schlueter <>
From: Brian C. Grayson <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/08/1998 09:25:57
On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 11:09:20AM +0100, Torsten Schlueter wrote:
> I was trying to update my Homepage when i noticed that it is not
> possible (for me) to put only those files in an tar archive which were
> changed.
> I tried the following:
> t-rex://usr/local/httpd/htdocs/ #find . -mtime 1 -print
> and the output were the files which are changed today.

  What were the contents of /tmp/webneu.files?  I'm guessing it
was also including directories (they have modification times too,
of course), and if tar gets a request to add a directory, it
adds everything in the subdirectory.

# cd /tmp
# mkdir newdir
# cd newdir
# touch a
# touch b
# find . -mtime 1 -print
# find . -mtime 1 -print

  For some reason, the first find doesn't see the directory, but
the second does.

  ANYWAY, one work around is to use find . -mtime 1 -type f
-print, which will limit the output to print regular files.  Or,
use find . -mtime 1 \! -type d -print, to exclude directories.

  You might want to also look at the -N (or --newer) option to
tar.  I'm not sure what date format it expects, though.

  Hope this helps!
"...just take everything you know and shove it up by 12."
  Mark Krentel, COMP 280