Subject: RE: Differential SCSI?
To: 'Greg A. Woods' <woods@weird.com>
From: Alex Barclay <alex@vsys.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/30/1998 09:59:38
On Monday, June 29, 1998 9:42 PM, Greg A. Woods [SMTP:woods@most.weird.com]
wrote:
> [ On Mon, June 29, 1998 at 16:18:01 (-0600), Michael K. Sanders wrote: ]
> > Subject: Differential SCSI?
> >
> > Does anyone have any opinions on using Differential SCSI?  I realize
> > that the controllers are more expensive (~$350 for the 2944).
>
> The differential SCSI bus is indeed far superior, with better electrical
> noise immunity, far longer maximum cable lengths, and fewer termination
> problems.

So the next question is... Can you get a single ended to differential converter
for the bus?
If so then you could run more common single ended stuff inside the chasis where
cable
lengths are short and then differential to external enclosures where these
cheap drives are?

Does anyone have an electrical spec for SCSI so I can see how difficult this
would be?

Thanks

Alex

--
Alex Barclay                    E-mail: alex@vsys.com
Vsys                            Tel:    +1 719 635 8066 x 17