Subject: Re: arp info overwritten ???
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/1998 17:14:05
On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, SamMaEl wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Dan McMahill wrote:
>
> > What does this console message mean?
> >
> > Jun  8 17:35:48 dinah-moe /netbsd: arp info overwritten for 0a000001 by 00:40:05:59:8f:dd
>
> 	I got this message (on my Q630) when I booted my PB540c into MacOS
> and then later tried to boot into NetBSD. So, it was already assigned an
> IP address, but then NetBSD assigned it that same IP address again, which
> makes sense and shuld explain this log entry. Am I wrong?

I guess I forgot to mention that 00:40:05:59:8f:dd is _not_ the hardware
address of anything I own...  I think I've found (via arp -a) whose
machine (on the cable modem net) stepped on mine.  I sent him email to
try to confirm this.

> > Am I just being paranoid?
>
> 	Probably ;-)
We had a break in at school recently in which the hacker typed
rm -fr /*
hence my tendancy towards paranoia these days....

Thanks